Wednesday, March 1, 2023

0005 | Getting Organized

 



Document Everything

After more than 30 years developing video games, and application software heavy in graphics, I've collected quite a bit of information with regards to graphic pipelines, audio pipelines, tools, techniques and so on that make developing games easier and at higher quality.  In short, if there is information that you have that makes your job easier, you should document it, even if you use it on a constant basis.  There is always a day where you get ready to do something, and you know that you have an easy path to go down, if only you could remember what that path was.  That is why you document everything.  Then all you have to remember is, that you know there was an easy path, and that you wrote it down.  Now all you have to do is find it!  

For the longest period of time, all that information was stored in various folders scattered across multiple computers and backed up in multiple places for fear of losing it all.  Even though I knew that I had the information, it made it a pain in the ass to find it sometimes.




Organize your Documents

Document Archive


Then came along Trello.  I don't know who made it originally, but Atlassian bought it a few years back.  Basically, it is an online interface like a Kanban board, or scrum board.   I used it to categorize and organize information that I had collected and keep track of tasks that need to be completed on the games, game engines, tools, audio and video pipelines.  

Trello Example

Unfortunately, over time, there got to be thousands of these cards, and it got to looking more like the image above this one.   It still works, but it is messy and complicated.  I think it is more suited for Kanban / Scrum boards than trying to organize anything.

So, then I had someone mention Confluence, which is also by Atlassian.  Unfortunately, when they said that, I instantly shivered in disgust.  I brought it up to my producer who also has worked at the same places I have, and he thought it was a horrible idea.  Most all the places we have worked run the enterprise version, and it hasn't been updated in forever.  Also, the places I have worked that use it have basically let it turn into the Wild West where people can just put anything anywhere, and also ends up looking like the room above.  If you have ever used one of these versions of Confluence, at a software company, you know what I am talking about.  I loathe searching for anything on them because it is like playing "Where's Waldo".  

Well, we gave the NEW Confluence a try, and OMG, it is the bomb!  It is everything I have ever hoped for in an organizational structure for documents.   Now I can store everything from programming notes to information about setting up specialized shaders in 3DS Max, and even how-to instructions on common actions we have to perform here at Giggle Horse Games!  So far it is a miracle, but I will let you know if that changes.




Recording 3D Modeling with OBS



Next thing I had to do was setup OBS (Open Broadcast Studio) again so that I could record the 3D Modeling, UV unwrapping, texturing, and 3D sculpture sessions with ZBrush.  One the issues I had with OBS straight up is that it doesn't record several monitors at once by following the cursor.  So, for example, when I 3D model something in 3DS Max, I usually apply a UV Unwrap modifier, then go into the UV editor on the second monitor so I can see how the UVs are laying out on the 3D Model on the first monitor.  Unfortunately, OBS won't follow the cursor to the next monitor.  So, I had to get a plugin and configure some macros, so it automagically switches screens based on where the cursor is.  

I am now back in the saddle and creating assets for the scenes in the game.  It feels good to be back working on the game.  The last two years of nightmare distractions are gone.  

Now for the BIG PUSH to finish this game.  




Getting some Stamina back


Having said that, I have noticed that all the shit I went through last year really took a toll on my stamina.  I didn't really notice it until a couple weeks ago and I realized I didn't have the endurance to push like I used to.  So I am now doing interval endurance training on the treadmill to build my stamina back up so I can work longer without getting so tired.  

That's all for now fans!   From here on out, it is all about Absolute Zero and the push to get it done.  Thanks for following us, and the thousands of you that have already wish listed the game on Steam.  For the rest of you, click the button below so you can get your copy the day we release it!   Yea!




Absolute Zero on Steam

Hey everyone,  don't forget to add Absolute Zero to your Steam wish list!   

Add To Wishlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts